What will happen if my chimney is not swept?
There is the risk that the chimney will become blocked which can lead to Carbon Monoxide poisoning. The chimney could also become a severe fire risk if not swept regularly.
Do I need to have a “Lined” chimney swept?
<h5 class="font_5">Yes, contrary to belief, once you have had a liner installed on your appliance it is particularly important to sweep the chimney on a regular basis. Yearly minimal intervals are recommended.</h5>
My home insurance provider insists on my chimney being swept. Is this correct?
<h5 class="font_5">Yes, nowadays many leading home insurance providers require you to have your chimney swept at least annually by a professional chimney sweep who will issue a certificate of chimney sweeping upon completion.</h5>
Does chimney sweeping leave a mess?
<h5 class="font_5">Absolutely not. We will do our utmost to make our process as clean as possible and take every reasonable step to ensure your room is fully protected. We pride ourselves on our cleanliness and reputation.</h5>
When is the best time to have my chimney swept?
<h5 class="font_5">You should try to book in for a chimney sweep in early spring or through the summer months. That way we should be able to get to you within a reasonable time frame. If you leave it until autumn and winter, we are always booked well ahead, and therefore it will likely take us several weeks to get to you.</h5>
I have heard on the news that they have banned wood and coal. Does this mean I can’t use my stove anymore?
<h5 class="font_5">Government measures have been introduced to remove the most polluting types of fuels. Bituminous coal is being phased out completely by 2023. The solid fuel and stove industry have introduced measures meaning only the cleanest burning stoves/appliances will be available from 2022, with many stove manufacturers already selling these well ahead of that date. These are known as Ecodesign or SIA compliant.</h5>
Do I need to have a carbon monoxide alarm fitted?
Yes, is the simple answer to that question, Carbon Monoxide poisoning is another reason why your chimney should be swept regularly. Since 2010 a Carbon Monoxide detector has had to been installed as part of the HETAS requirements. We ask our customers to bring their home up to these standards if an older stove is present or an open fire.
Private sector landlords have since 1 October 2015, been required to ensure there is a carbon monoxide alarm in any room containing a solid fuel/wood burning appliance and in continual working order.